How to Set Up Fitbit Charge 3
Learn how to set up Fitbit Charge 3 with step-by-step instructions. I also cover how to change the clock face and exercise shortcuts.
How to Set Up Fitbit Charge 3 on iPhone
2. Tap the Account icon in the upper right corner.
3. Tap Set Up a Device.
4. Tap Charge 3. (You may have to scroll down the list, if you don’t initially see it.)
6. Read Fitbit’s terms and policies (you’ll have to scroll down the page), then tap I Agree.
7. Connect your Charge 3 to its charging cable and keep it charging throughout the setup process. If you need help with this, watch my video on How to Charge the Fitbit Charge 3 (modal popup link?). After your Charge 3 is charging, tap Next.
Now your phone will use Bluetooth to search for your Charge 3.
8. Once your phone and tracker are connected to each other, 4 numbers should appear on your Charge 3’s display. When prompted by your phone, enter the 4 numbers on your Charge 3’s display.
9. Now that your phone and tracker are paired, you’ll need to update your Charge 3’s software to the most recent version. To start this process, tap Update tracker.
Note: If your Charge 3 isn’t brand new, it might already have the latest software and you won’t see this screen. If so, you can skip ahead to step 11.
Your phone will start to download the most recent Charge 3 software and a percentage is displayed on your phone to let you know how the download is progressing.
Also, you should see a thin white horizontal bar on your Charge 3’s display. This is also a progress indicator, but it will not match up with the number on your phone (for example, if your phone says 50% downloaded, your Charge 3 will indicate much less than 50%.
This step can take 20 minutes or more. You can use your phone normally during this time, but be sure to keep it within about 10 feet of your Charge 3.
Once the download reaches 100% (according to your phone), your phone will indicate that it is “Installing…”. This time we are not given any progress indication on our phone and probably just have to rely on the progress indicator on our Charge 3, which for me was about 25-30% once the Download completed and installation started. The progress bar on my Charge 3 disappeared for a few seconds, so don’t be alarmed if this happens to yours. The installation can take 10 minutes or more.
10. Once the installation has successfully completed, your Charge 3 should vibrate and display a white checkmark. Your phone should also indicate that your Charge 3 is ready. Tap Continue.
11. You can remove your Charge 3 from its charger and try it on. Tap Next.
12. Now you’ll be guided through some basic navigation of your Charge 3. First, you can swipe up from the bottom of your clock face to see your daily stats. Go ahead and try this on your Charge 3. I found that I have to swipe up from the very bottom of the display (where it says fitbit) and sometimes it still doesn’t swipe up as I intended. So it might take a few tries initially. Tap Next.
13. To get back to your clock face, either swipe all the way back up or press the inductive button on the left side of the display. Tap Next.
14. From the clock face, you can swipe down to reveal notifications. You can swipe back up, to get back to your clock face, or press the left button. Tap Next.
15. Press and hold the left button to access your quick settings. These allow you to turn on or off the quick view of the display and notifications. This is very helpful to have, especially if you use your Charge 3 to track your sleep as you can quickly turn each of these settings off before going to bed. Press the left button to go back to the clock face. Tap Next.
16. From the clock face, you can swipe left to see your apps. Keep swiping left to reveal more apps. To get back to the clock face, swipe right until you’re back or press the left button. Tap Next.
17. Read Fitbit’s wear and care tips. Tap Next.
18. You can tap to learn more about the Charge 3 Otherwise, Tap Done.
19. A pop up may appear asking you if you want to change some settings for Location Access and Bluetooth Sharing. If you want to be able to use your phone’s GPS to track your exercise route or you want to see weather data on your tracker, you’ll want to tap Open Settings.
20. Tap Location.
21. Tap whichever location access frequency you desire. If you want to use your phone’s GPS to track your exercise route, you’ll want to tap Always.